Wanna travel through Germany? You have a few days in cologne?
From November until February is the German Carneval – try to avoid to be there at the 11 of November. It’s crazy at this time. Unless you wanna see the Carneval. It is one of the biggest events in Germany
Where to stay?
The Art Hotel (art ‚otel cologne) in Holzmarkt 4 50676 cologne. website.It is next to the popular river Rhein and close to the city, only a 5 minutes walk. I loved that shower, it was really big. Very clean Hotel and lovely stuff.
Where am I gonna have my dinner?
- Hacienda Restaurant in Heumarkt 60. I don’t recommend this restaurant because the waitress was very unfriendly, after our order she brought the wrong food, she mixed our orders. Instead of taking two minutes to get the right order she was just in a rush. I had the pork cutlet and it was the smallest peace of meat I’ve ever had on a plate. Even the veggies I had with my meal wasn’t enough. 13,90 euro plus my beer wasn’t it worth it. The only good thing was some bread with a delicious cream before we got our meals
- Bierhaus in d’r Salzgasse – very popular restaurant, it was very busy, if you wanna get a table on the weekend you have to make a reservation weeks (months) before. The potatoe soup I had was really good, actually I missed a peace of bred – 5,30 euro… The adress is Salzgasse 5-7
- I recommend the Gaststaette Lederer in unter Fettenhennen 2 – we only stayed for a drink but the waitress is worth it to go for dinner. She was very funny and liked to talk. It is also just a two minutes walk away from the Dom
- Loewenbraeu Restaurant Hotel in Frankenwerft 21 – We went for brunch there which wasonly 8,50 euro, you get a orangejuice for free. You have to pay extra for hot drinks like coffee. They offer you a buffet with lots of choices, eggs, sausages, yoghurt, cornflakes, bred, butter,… you will be definitly happy about it.
- Ludwig im Museum in Heinrich-Boell-Plate 1… – It is close to the Dom and a nice coffee shop. Tomatoe soup is just 5,90 euro and you got bred with it. The oven hot ciabatta with tomatoe and cheese was very good, you get a bit of salad with it and it was for 7,90 euro. First I thought it’s a bit expensive but it is worth it. Also friendly stuff and good service. You also get fresh pressed orange juice.
- Restaurant /Bar Henkelmaennchen – it is next to the Lanxess arena – a basket with chicken wings and chips are for 7,90 euro. I think it is a bit expensive, you get drinks for 0,2 l for 2,50 euro.
The Lanxess arena is the biggest Ice hockey arena in Germany. For Ice Hockey fans is it a must to go. They offer you drinks and food while games are on. Beer, non alcohol drinks or Nachos. For those who get there with the car, choose the arenatarif in the parking house.
You have to try a Koelsch beer in cologne. You pretty much get it every where. For myself I’m used to better german beer but some people love the Koelsch.
Climb up the Dom. It will cost you 4 euro to walk up 1200 steps but you get a very good view. It is a beautiful Building, huge and just unique.
Walk along the Rhein, you get to see beautiful spots and maybe take a ride on a boat.
For those who go in winter time visit a christmas market. Cologne got more than just one. They are very beautiful and each of them is different. Take a hop on hop off ticket for the christmas market train, so you get easily around.
How to get around?
The U-bahn system is horrible. We didn’t get along with it. Best is to take a taxi or walk. If you do have a car it is pretty expensive on parking places. In the morning from 8-10 o’clock and in the afternoon from 3-6 o’clock is working traffic. Everyone has to go to work or just left work, it is crazy to be on the road at these times.
I hope you have a nice timein cologne, very beautiful city! 🙂